When you have ripped abs people often think that your ribcage is poking through when it is usually your obliques. Look at this diagram to see what i mean:The three lines of muscle at the side of the abdominals visible in this picture are the obliques. If you are not sure whether you are looking at obliques or ribs you can tell by trying to tense them and if you can then it is your obliques and if you can't it is your ribs.
Benefits of oblique exercises
* Your oblique muscles (side abdominals) help you bend from the side or twist your torso.* The best abdominal exercises, including oblique movements, are thought to condition the internal organs making them more efficient. The internals include the colon & liver.
* Strong obliques support the lower back, warding off back pain and posture problems.
* Improved posture, thanks to strong obliques.
* Oblique ab exercises helps slim your waist.
* Strong, conditioned obliques help transfer force or power from one body part to another or body to an external object. Great for sports.
* Conditioned obliques help balance your body. Well developed muscles above & below the abs must be balanced by the strong connecting muscles of the abs, including the obliques.
These are some good exercises for good obliques: